Nutzen Sie La Quotidienne de Bruxelles mit personalisierter Werbung, Werbetracking, Nutzungsanalyse und externen Multimedia-Inhalten. Details zu Cookies und Verarbeitungszwecken sowie zu Ihrer jederzeitigen Widerrufsmöglichkeit finden Sie unten, im Cookie-Manager sowie in unserer Datenschutzerklärung.
Use La Quotidienne de Bruxelles with personalised advertising, ad tracking, usage analysis and external multimedia content. Details on cookies and processing purposes as well as your revocation option at any time can be found below, in the cookie manager as well as in our privacy policy.
Utilizar La Quotidienne de Bruxelles con publicidad personalizada, seguimiento de anuncios, análisis de uso y contenido multimedia externo. Los detalles sobre las cookies y los propósitos de procesamiento, así como su opción de revocación en cualquier momento, se pueden encontrar a continuación, en el gestor de cookies, así como en nuestra política de privacidad.
Utilisez le La Quotidienne de Bruxelles avec des publicités personnalisées, un suivi publicitaire, une analyse de l'utilisation et des contenus multimédias externes. Vous trouverez des détails sur les cookies et les objectifs de traitement ainsi que sur votre possibilité de révocation à tout moment ci-dessous, dans le gestionnaire de cookies ainsi que dans notre déclaration de protection des données.
Utilizzare La Quotidienne de Bruxelles con pubblicità personalizzata, tracciamento degli annunci, analisi dell'utilizzo e contenuti multimediali esterni. I dettagli sui cookie e sulle finalità di elaborazione, nonché la possibilità di revocarli in qualsiasi momento, sono riportati di seguito nel Cookie Manager e nella nostra Informativa sulla privacy.
Utilizar o La Quotidienne de Bruxelles com publicidade personalizada, rastreio de anúncios, análise de utilização e conteúdo multimédia externo. Detalhes sobre cookies e fins de processamento, bem como a sua opção de revogação em qualquer altura, podem ser encontrados abaixo, no Gestor de Cookies, bem como na nossa Política de Privacidade.
France's biggest wildfire this summer has been brought under control, authorities said Thursday, after it killed one person and destroyed thousands of hectares of land and dozens of homes in the south.
Text size:
Around 2,000 firefighters were mobilised in France's southern Aude department to contain the blaze that started Tuesday. Thirteen people have been injured, two of them seriously.
But authorities said the most severe fire in France's Mediterranean region in at least 50 years has been contained.
"The fire is under control," said Lucie Roesch, secretary general of the Aude prefecture.
The announcement came after regional authorities in Spain said late Wednesday that a wildfire near the Mediterranean tourist town of Tarifa, which had prompted evacuations, had been stabilised.
Firefighters on the scene in the Aude department called it a "classic job but on an extraordinary scale", saying the day was spent dealing with the remaining active pockets of fire.
"The objective is to stabilise the fire" and halt its progress by the end of the day, said Christophe Magny, chief of the Aude department's firefighter unit.
The fire advanced much more slowly overnight to Thursday than at the start, when it engulfed around 1,000 hectares (2,500 acres) per hour, according to the authorities in the nearby city of Narbonne.
Weather conditions had become more favourable after two days of strong and changing winds that made the blaze's progress difficult to predict.
However the fire will not be "declared extinguished for several days", said Christian Pouget, prefect of the Aude department. "There is still a lot of work to be done."
A 65-year-old woman, who had refused to evacuate, was found dead in her scorched house, while 13 people were injured, 11 of them firefighters.
- 'Unprecedented catastrophe' -
The wildfire is a "catastrophe on an unprecedented scale", Prime Minister Francois Bayrou said Wednesday during a visit to the affected region.
"What is happening today is linked to global warming and linked to drought," Bayrou said.
The blaze has burned around 17,000 hectares of land.
In Saint-Laurent-de-la-Cabrerisse, the village hardest hit by the fire, thick smoke rose Thursday from the pine hills overlooking the vineyards where dry grass was ablaze, an AFP journalist said.
On the ground, a fire truck and several fire engines were circulating near the flames, with a water-bombing helicopter approaching the blaze.
"If we don't get help, we will not recover... It makes me sick, this vineyard, all those years of work, gone up in smoke in an hour," Fabien Vergnes, 52, told AFP on his property in Tournissan, a few kilometres from Saint-Laurent-de-la-Cabrerisse.
The fire is France's biggest so far in a summer that has already seen around 9,000 fires, mainly along the Mediterranean coast, according to the emergency management service.
An investigation has been opened into the cause, local officials said, but there were no firm leads so far.
The Aude department in particular has seen an increase in areas burned in recent years, aggravated by low rainfall and the uprooting of vineyards, which used to help slow down the advance of fires.
- Spanish blaze under control -
With Europe facing new August heatwaves, many areas are on alert for wildfires.
In Tarifa, fire crews secured areas near hotels and other tourist accommodations after getting the blaze under control, local officials said.
Antonio Sanz, interior minister for Andalusia's regional government, said on X that "the return of all evacuated people" had been authorised after the fire was "stabilised".
Spanish public broadcaster TVE reported that the fire started in a camper van at a beachside campsite, and spread quickly in strong winds.
About 1,550 people and 5,500 vehicles were evacuated from campsites, hotels and homes, Sanz said earlier.
Climate experts say that global warming is driving longer, more intense and more frequent heatwaves around the world, making for more favourable forest fire conditions.